FRANCE: California meets Bordeaux for wine exchange
A group of female Californian winemakers has buried Old world/New world wine rivalries for a four-day visit to meet female counterparts in Bordeaux.
"We shared ideas, techniques, and although we have different issues and different terroirs, it was fascinating seeing what we are all doing to try and make the best possible wines," Sharon Harris of Amici Cellars winery told just-drinks today.
Harris, the visit organiser, said exchanges of this kind were 'indispensible' and would result in better wines for consumers.
Seeing how wines were drunk in France, and getting a French view of American wines was another essential part of the visit, she added.
The event was a return match after 12 Bordeaux winemakers visited the Napa Valley last year.
In spite of the tough conditions, rising alcohol duties and the grim task of cutting his UK workforce, George Marsden, E&J Gallo's vice president and general manager for Europe, is relishing what he c...
New figures obtained from the European Commission suggest that the grand plan to reform Europe's wine sector is stuck in second gear, almost a year after being introduced....
A new report from IWSR and just-drinks suggests New World wine producers will continue to grow their share of the market. But while the New World can expect good growth in emerging wine markets, the O...
The downturn has not surprisingly caused a dramatic slide in Champagne sales but the Champenois are less perturbed than some might expect, continuing to plan for long-term growth through the expansion...
Pernod Ricard has launched a limited edition package for its Chivas Regal Scotch whisky brand....
Visitor figures for the Vinexpo wine show held in Bordeaux this week are down by around 5%, according to initial estimates....
The economic downturn has plunged French wine into a fresh crisis, making the need for consolidation in the industry greater than ever, the president of JeanJean has told just-drinks....
The Samson Acquisition Company has lined up the purchase of New Zealand wine producer Gravitas Wines....
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?