US: California lawmakers reject soft drinks health warning bill
The labels would warn of tooth decay and diabetes
A bill that sought to impose health warnings on sugary soft drinks has failed to become Californian law after it stumbled at the state assembly.
The Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Safety Warning Act was dismissed by the assembly's health committee by eight votes to seven yesterday, according to health activists who backed the bill. It required ten votes to pass.
However, the bill was granted reconsideration, which means there is a final opportunity to try to get it passed, the LA Times reported.
Supporters blamed “strong beverage industry opposition” for the failure but said they would continue to pursue the bill's aims.
The Californian arm of the American Beverage Association, CalBev, has criticised the bill, saying it is “misleading” to suggest that soft drink consumption is “uniquely responsible for weight gain”.
In May, the proposal was voted through the Californian senate by 21 votes to 13 and could have become law by 30 September if it had cleared the assembly and been signed off by the governor. It was first put forward by California Democrat Bill Monning in February.
The proposed warning label reads - State of California safety warning: Drinking beverages with added sugar(s) contributes to obesity, diabetes, and tooth decay.
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts