CHINA: CALCOL Confirms Soft Drink Plant to Open in Beijing
SANHE MEILE SOFT DRINKS CO. LTD. is 80 percent owned by US-based CALCOL INC. and 20 percent by the CHINA NATIONAL FOOD INDUSTRY CORPORATION. The co-operation, which began in 1995, will last for 30 years on a 40,000-square-metre site in Sanhe, a suburb 34 kilometers due east of Beijing on the JingHa Highway. The soft drink concentrate plant is projected to finish up to 139,000 units of concentrate (enough to bottle 500,000 tons of soft drinks) annually for sale to independent local (non-franchised) bottlers throughout China. China is now the third largest consuming market for soft drinks in the world. Half of the bottling companies are independent local bottlers. CALCOL INC. holds the third business license for foreign branded soft drinks in China.
CALCOL INC. has scheduled the grand opening of its soft drink bottling plant (110,000 square feet) in Spring 2001 on the same complex in Beijing. The joint venture hopes to manufacture for the Chinese market RC COLA and other ROYAL CROWN flavors and ice tea products, as well as finishing concentrates using formulas licensed from other famous international soft drink companies under SANHE MEILE SOFT DRINK COMPANY's own brand name. In 1995, CALCOL INC. had fully assigned its rights in agreements with RC COLA INTERNATIONAL to the joint venture.
Upon the completion of the bottling plant, in addition to the soft drink concentrate manufacture and sale, SANHE MEILE SOFT DRINKS CO. LTD. expects to have an annual production capacity of 10 million standard cases of finished bottles of soft drinks, sports drinks, and fruit flavored and herbal enriched ice tea products.
CALCOL INC. common stock (cusip No. 128699) trades OTC in the United States under the symbol CLCL.
The Hispanic community is a large and growing ethnic group within the US population and a consumer segment that soft drinks marketers are looking to tap. Hinde Liep of US market research company, Busi...
The functional drinks sector remains something of a niche market in Eastern Europe but there is clearly growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, assesses the state o...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
Alabama's State Board of Education has banned carbonated drinks from vending machines in public elementary schools and limited them in middle and high schools....
With the introduction of Powerade Option, announced this week, Coca-Cola hopes to challenge PepsiCo's hold on the sports drink market....
Coca-Cola has launched a low-calorie sports drinks called POWERade OPTION, which it hopes will challenge the dominance of rival Gatorade in the sector. The new brand will hit shelves across the US thi...
Coca Cola is planning to invest €20m in a new production line at its plant at Socx near Dunkirk in northern France....
Sports drinks company ChampionLyte Holdings has announced that it has signed a definitive agreement for the acquisition of Cargo Connection Logistics Corp. and Mid-Coast Management, Inc., two privatel...
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- TWE's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Carlsberg's cost-saving plan "achieving traction"
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- This week in wine & spirits on just-drinks
- Spirits volumes slide in Global Travel Retail
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- Full-year profits soar for Treasury Wine Estates
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages