UK: Cains suspends brewing operations - report
Cains has called a halt to production at its Liverpool brewery, with plans to sub-contract its operations to a third-party, according to local reports.
The move comes a month after the company announced plans to transform its site into a GBP50m (US$76.9m) 'Brewery Village' - to include a hotel, food market, restuarants and appartments. Cains MD Sudarghara Dusanj confirmed late last week, however, that its brewing and canning operations have stopped.
“The own-label brewing and canning business for the supermarket industry has been deteriorating for some time because of competition from modern, purpose-built operations, many of them overseas," he was quoted as saying by the Liverpool Echo.
Dusanj added: “It is with regret....that all own label brewing and canning business for supermarkets has ceased with immediate effect. We would like to thank our staff for their dedication and hard work over the years and to wish them the very best for the future."
Thirty-eight of Cains' 56-strong workforce are set to lose their jobs as a result of the move, it was reported.
A Cains spokesperson added: “The nature of our brewery is such that its operation cannot be scaled down in a simple fashion and it would be financial madness to continue with such huge overheads for a relatively small brewing operation.”
However, the spokesperson said the brewery remains "at the heart of its plans" for the new development, which is still to receive the go-ahead from Liverpool City Council.
Nobody was available for comment from Cains when contacted by just-drinks.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends