CAGE 2011 - PepsiCo takes M&A off the agenda, for now
PepsiCo leaps forward in Russia with Wimm-Bill-Dann
PepsiCo's chief financial officer has told just-drinks that the company does not expect to make any more large-scale acquisitions in the immediate future.
PepsiCo is fully-focussed on completing its tender offer to acquire all outstanding shares in Russia's Wimm-Bill-Dann, as well as integrating its bottlers, PepsiAmericas and Pepsi Bottling Group.
"We're taking a rest for the time being," PepsiCo's Hugh Johnston told just-drinks yesterday (30 March), when questioned on further large-scale mergers and acquisitions on the sidelines of the annual conference of the Consumer Analyst Group Europe (CAGE).
The soft drinks giant is confident that its decision to buy big in Russia will pay off, particularly as the country's economy emerges from a rough couple of years. PepsiCo's takeover of Wimm-Bill-Dann makes it twice as big as its nearest competitor in Russia's food and soft drinks market and, importantly, significantly bigger than The Coca-Cola Co in the key juice market.
"Russia has good margins compared to many European countries," PepsiCo's CEO for Europe, Zein Abdalla, told analysts at CAGE. "Russian consumers are willing to pay more for added value and convenience."
He added that the group's new scale in Russia also puts it in a good position to absorb any bumps in the road. "It won't be a straight line, but we've built a flexibility in our business model. We know how to hunker down as well."
In the last five years, the contribution of emerging markets to PepsiCo's annual net sales has risen from 21% to 31%.
As Stevia producer PureCircle wallows in the red, industry observers may question whether the alternative sweetener is living up to the hype....
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has ruled against an advertisement by Del Monte in the UK, following a complaint made by PepsiCo's unit in the country....
PepsiCo has launched a television advertisement in the US that highlights the use of musical artists in previous ads for its Pepsi CSD brand in the country....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts