EUROPE: Cadbury Schweppes sells drinks business
Cadbury Schweppes has agreed to sell its European beverages business. The company announced the sale to a consortium led by Blackstone Group International and Lion Capital LLP today (21 November) for EUR1.85bn (US$2.17bn). The amount, paid in cash, represents approximately 9.5 times the unit's forecast 2005 underlying EBITDA.
"I'm delighted that within such a short time we have achieved a firm offer for Europe Beverages at a price which reflects the quality of its brands and the strength of its management team," said Todd Stitzer, Cadbury Schweppes' CEO. "Following completion of a deal, we will be able to focus on our faster growing confectionery and other beverage businesses."
If the company does not accept this binding offer, it said it will pay a termination fee of approximately 5% of the offer value. The transaction is conditional on European Union regulatory approval, and is expected to complete early next year.
The beverage unit's main brands are Schweppes, Orangina, TriNa, Oasis and La Casera which account for around 75% of sales. Other brands include Apollinaris, Pampryl, Gini and Vida. The business has wholly-owned bottling operations in Germany, Spain, Portugal and Belgium.
Cadbury-Schweppes has insisted that the disposal of its European soft drinks businesses is not indicative of a move away from soft drinks, but analysts see the group focusing increasingly on confectio...
Cadbury Schweppes said today (13 December) that year-to-date trading had been in line with expectations....
PepsiCo has refused to comment on reports linking the company with a bid for Cadbury Schweppes' soft drink business....
The European arm of drinks group Cadbury Schweppes is expected to be sold next month for around GBP1.1bn ($1.9bn), according to press reports....
UK-based soft drinks to sweets group Cadbury Schweppes has issued a trading update ahead of an investor seminar to be held in Dallas, Texas on 10 and 11 October....
Cadbury Schweppes is moving ever closer to selling off its European soft drinks business, according to German press reports....
Rumours are circling that Cadbury Schweppes' soft drinks business may be merged with Britvic....
Cadbury Schweppes Americas brand Mott's has announced a new line of fortified beverages....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Comment - Will the Sweetener Battle turn Sour?
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets