FRANCE: Côtes du Rhône wine co-op hit with fraud fine
A Côtes du Rhône wine co-operative has been slapped with a fine for fraud.
La Cave de Tain l'Hermitage, one of the biggest co-operatives in the area, yesterday (15 January) received a EUR25,000 (US$32,368) fine, while its oenolgoue received a six-month suspended prison sentence.
The local prosecutor said the oenologue had been guilty of "mixing of different vintages, mixing of wines from different AOCs (appellations d'origine contrôlée) and changing of labels." The prosecutor described the actions as "the real techniques of plonk makers (pinardiers)".
The director and president of the co-op, which produces 55,000 hectolitres annually from five AOC appellations, were acquitted, while the oenologue admitted he had let the fraud happen "out of weakness".
The fraud was discovered during an inspection by the local fraud squad in 2004.
The news that Yves Bénard is the front-runner for the top job at the INAO is good news for reformers in the French wine industry....
The founder and CEO of business property specialists Regus, Mark Dixon, has acquired the Château de Berne wine estate located between Lorgues and Flayosc, in the Var, in the heart of the Provence vine...
The price of vineyards in and around Champagne rose last year, despite a fall in prices across the rest of France....
A group of 80 French winemakers yesterday (30 May) occupied the Paris headquarters of French regulatory body INAO (Institut national de l'origine et de la qualité) in protest against its reform of win...
With the latest announcement of the new director of INAO (Institut national de l'origine et de la qualité) as Marion Zalay, all key posts are now filled....
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirits Fair…...
Inter Rhône has appointed an export manager for the UK....
The general director of the wine and Champagne division of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton looks to be the front runner to take charge of the Institut National de l'Origine et de la qualité....
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends