UK: Burn Stewart Distillers FY profits rise
Burn Stewart Distillers has almost doubled its full-year pre-tax profits, boosted by success of the company's Scottish Leader whisky brand in Taiwan and South Africa.
Pre-tax profits for the year to 31 December 2008 reached GBP650,000 (US$1.07m) from GBP380,000 in the comparable period of the previous year.
The company, which employs 250 people across its head office and three distilleries, said Wednesday (22 July) that it has seen continued growth across its core brands, with a 75% increase in volume over the last four years.
The group sold more than 500,000 cases in 2008.
The distiller has experienced continued growth of Scottish Leader in Taiwan where it has maintained a 7% growth in the market, as well as 15% year-on-year growth in the South African market.
Black Bottle also witnessed new areas of growth through distribution in 20 new markets, including Denmark, Holland, Russia, South Africa and Taiwan.
Managing director Fraser Thornton said the company's primary focus is to develop and grow its core portfolio of brands.
"We have enjoyed another year of growth and have opened up new markets as well as continuing to build our brands in existing markets," he said. "2008 was an exciting year as we invested GBP6m in brand marketing as well as making improvements in both our distilling and bottling infrastructure."
Bruichladdich, the Scotch whisky distillery, hopes to significantly cut energy use by trialling a system that will convert waste into electricity....
Pernod Ricard has hit a setback in its attempt to prevent rival drinks firms in India from using the word 'imperial' on their labels....
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Carlsberg makes non-alcoholic brand organic
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends