FRANCE: Burgundy Q1 exports tumble - figures
Exports of Burgundy wines fell sharply in both volume and value terms in the first quarter, according to figures released to just-drinks on Tuesday (26 May) by the Bureau Interprofessionnel des Vins de Bourgogne (BIVB).
Global exports totalled around 15.4m bottles, down 30% on the first quarter of 2008, and generated revenues of almost EUR100.4m (US$139.7m), a fall of 31%, the figures showed.
Shipments to the UK, the principal destination of Burgundy exports, totalled almost 3.4m bottles (down 51%) and dropped 50% in value to almost EUR16.6m - poor market conditions were exacerbated by the weakness of sterling against the Euro, the BIVB said.
Burgundy's second export market, the US, suffered a 34% decline in volume while the value of shipments tumbled 40%.
The only bright note in a depressing first quarter was an increase of 18% in export volumes to Germany which brought a 7% rise in revenues.
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends