UK: Bulmers confirmed as Legionnaire's source
The UK cider maker Bulmers has been confirmed as the source of the outbreak of Legionnaire's disease in Hereford, Worcestershire. The disease has already killed one person and left 23 others ill.
Test results on Friday confirmed initial test findings that the type of legionalla bacterium found at the cidermaker's site in the city is consistent with samples taken from patients with the disease.
A spokesman for Bulmers told Newsquest: "We express our sincere wishes that those affected by this outbreak make a full and speedy recovery. We also extend our condolences to the family and friends of the person now known to have died."
The cooling tower where the bug was initially found is still closed.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Analysis - SABMiller to add bolt-ons in Africa?
- A-B InBev's Move on Tennent's Super Makes Sense
- India: Everyone's Favourite Spirits Market
- Brand Diversification Driving Craft Brewery Growth
- Comment - SABMiller and Diageo: A Tie-Up Too Far
- Diageo scraps Arthur's Day, but singer left sad
- William Grant sinks GBP185,000 into "No" camp
- PepsiCo CEO sees "profound" change in US consumers
- SodaStream silent on John Lewis pullout in UK
- William Grant & Sons boosts Travel Retail team