EUROPE: Bulgaria lodges objection to Scottish minimum pricing
Minimum pricing in Scotland is expected to be in place by next year
Bulgaria is the first European state to submit a formal objection to the European Commission (EC) over Scotland's plans for a minimum price, it has emerged.
The objection is expected to delay the consultation period for the Scottish government's plans by three months, to 27 December. It comes after the Scotch Whisky Association launched a two-pronged legal challenge in July against the plans for a 50p minimum unit price, including its own complaint lodged with the EC.
Plans for a minimum price are fiercely opposed by many in the drinks industry, who argue it will do little to solve alcohol-related issues.
It is understood Bulgaria is among the countries concerned its products will be affected by minimum pricing legislation in Scotland.
The Wine and Spirit Trade Association today (14 September) welcomed news of Bulgaria's submission, received by the EC in June. "We are not surprised that concerns about the legality of minimum unit pricing have been formally notified by the Bulgarian government to the European Commission," said chief executive Miles Beale.
He added: “The extended timetable for consideration of the proposals provides an opportunity for other countries to register their opposition and for the European Commission to seek an explanation from the UK government about the legality of the Scottish government’s proposals.”
This month, Ian Buxton takes a look at an idea that, should it come to fruition, will send shockwaves through the Scotch whisky industry. In Scotland, he notes, there seems to be water, water everywhe...
The international scope of the Scotch whisky sector and its strong growth in emerging markets has allowed the market to continue growing in spite of the global downturn. However, as a new just-drinks/...
The UK Government is reviving a TV advertising campaign urging people to lower their alcohol intake....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer