Buffalo Trace Distillery warns against price increase after Van Winkle yields fall
The Sazerac Co's Buffalo Trace Distillery has asked US retailers not to increase prices on this year's Van Winkle Bourbon releases after yields were down by as much as half.
The distillery said more liquid than usual had been lost to the “angel's share”, the amount of alcohol that evaporates from the casks during maturation. It has meant less 15 year-old Pappy Van Winkle, and about half as much 20-year-old and 23-year-old as last year.
However, the company urged whiskey stores to keep prices level.
“Although a lot of retailers charge more than our suggested pricing, we are not asking them to do so,” said Julian Van Winkle, the president of Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery. “We have not raised prices and do not intend to do so drastically in the future.”
Buffalo Trace Distillery produces the Van Winkle Bourbon range in partnership with Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery. The brands are re-released every year and include the US$49.99 Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 10 Year Old and the $249.99 Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 23 Year Old.
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global spirits market during January....
Sazerac's Barton 1792 distillery has released a Bourbon with a high percentage of rye. ...
This latest global category insights report from just-drinks/IWSR suggests that: "Liqueurs brand owners need to shout about the crucial role their products play in classic and modern cocktail recipes ...
Sazerac Co's A Smith Bowman Distillery has released the latest limited iteration of its Abraham Bowman whiskey brand....
The Sazerac Co has launched a seasonal winter liqueur, Granny's Gingerbread Cream....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends