Buffalo Trace Distillery warns against price increase after Van Winkle yields fall
The Sazerac Co's Buffalo Trace Distillery has asked US retailers not to increase prices on this year's Van Winkle Bourbon releases after yields were down by as much as half.
The distillery said more liquid than usual had been lost to the “angel's share”, the amount of alcohol that evaporates from the casks during maturation. It has meant less 15 year-old Pappy Van Winkle, and about half as much 20-year-old and 23-year-old as last year.
However, the company urged whiskey stores to keep prices level.
“Although a lot of retailers charge more than our suggested pricing, we are not asking them to do so,” said Julian Van Winkle, the president of Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery. “We have not raised prices and do not intend to do so drastically in the future.”
Buffalo Trace Distillery produces the Van Winkle Bourbon range in partnership with Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery. The brands are re-released every year and include the US$49.99 Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 10 Year Old and the $249.99 Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 23 Year Old.
This latest global category insights report from just-drinks/IWSR suggests that: "Liqueurs brand owners need to shout about the crucial role their products play in classic and modern cocktail recipes ...
Sazerac's Barton 1792 distillery has released a Bourbon with a high percentage of rye. ...
Sazerac Co's A Smith Bowman Distillery has released the latest limited iteration of its Abraham Bowman whiskey brand....
The Sazerac Co has launched a seasonal winter liqueur, Granny's Gingerbread Cream....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- The just-drinks Analyst
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Beam Suntory boosts top-line in 2016 - results
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Molson Coors hit by US$500m write-down in Canada
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends