USA: Budweiser 'Whassup?!' Ads Win Grand Prix in Cannes
Having created the nation's hottest catch phrase practically overnight, Budweiser's "Whassup?!" ad campaign has now conquered the advertising world.The popular commercial series captured the world's most prestigious advertising award, the Grand Prix for Film at the 47th Annual International Advertising Festival in Cannes, France. This marks just the third time in the last decade that a United States company has won the Grand Prix for Film."We're thrilled the Budweiser 'Whassup?!' campaign has received the International Advertising Festival's Grand Prix for Film, the world's premier advertising award," said August A. Busch IV, vice president of marketing, Anheuser-Busch, Inc. "We're even more pleased over how the ads have been received by our consumers. The combination of award-winning advertising and positive consumer response is contributing to tremendous momentum for Budweiser."The Grand Prix follows the "Whassup?!" campaign earning another coveted advertising honor, the Grand Clio for Television, awarded in New York last month.In addition to the Grand Prix for "Whassup?!," Anheuser-Busch earned two Bronze Lions for Film at the Festival. Budweiser's "Louie the Lizard" campaign was honored for an ad titled "Ferret Expose," along with a spot titled "Check ID" from the company's "We All Make a Difference" campaign. The winning ad promotes carding and its effect on limiting underage drinking.The Festival's film jury was comprised of 22 advertising executives from 17 countries, including Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, The Netherlands, Norway, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, and the U.S. They viewed more than 5,700 television commercials from around the world before awarding the Grand Prix to Budweiser. Various Gold, Silver and Bronze Lions also were presented.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review