USA: Budweiser "Whassup?!" Ad Wins Grand Clio for TV
-- Millions of Americans have been asking the same question -- "Whassup?!" -- for months, and last night they were joined by judges in one of the world's largest advertising awards competition. Budweiser's popular "Whassup?!" campaign, which turned a greeting among friends more than 15 years ago into the nation's hottest catch phrase, earned one of the advertising industry's most prestigious awards, the Grand Clio for television. The award, given to the campaign's original 60-second spot, titled "True," was one of 14 garnered by Anheuser-Busch at last night's 41st Annual Clio TV and Radio Gala. Budweiser's "Louie the Lizard" campaign received half of those awards, including a Gold Clio for national radio campaign."It's a tremendous honor to win a Grand Clio for the original Budweiser 'Whassup?!' spot," said August A. Busch IV, vice president of marketing, Anheuser-Busch, Inc. "To win 14 Clios is outstanding, and it's particularly rewarding to be recognized by our peers in the advertising industry."This is a real credit to the outstanding work of our advertising partners -- DDB Worldwide, Chicago which worked with director Charles Stone III to create the 'Whassup?!' campaign; and Goodby, Silverstein & Partners, creators of the 'Budweiser Lizards' campaign," Busch said.The award for "Whassup?!" is the brand's second-consecutive Grand Clio. In 1999, the "Louie the Lizard" campaign from Goodby, Silverstein & Partners earned the Grand Clio for radio. Last night, Clio also presented two Hall of Fame awards, including one to Anheuser-Busch for Budweiser's classic "Frogs" television spot.Along with this year's the Grand Clio, Anheuser-Busch's Budweiser and Bud Light brands earned 13 Clio awards for TV and Radio, including:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review