CZECH/ITALY: Budvar to launch Italy Bud appeal
Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar has decided to fight on its bid to gain the rights to the Budweiser trademark in Italy.
The brewer, which has fought a century-long battle with Anheuser-Busch over the Budweiser name, is seeking to reverse this week's ruling from an appeals court in Italy that had ruled in favour of the US brewer.
This week, the Court of Appeals of Rome ordered the cancellation of three registered trademarks held by Budejovicky Budvar. The court also ruled that the Czech brewer does not have the right to use Budweiser as a protected geographic indication in Italy.
When contacted by just-drinks today (23 March), a Budvar spokesman confirmed the company's plan to launch a fresh appeal but declined to comment further.
Since 2005, the brewer has used the Budejovicky Budvar name to sell its flagship beer in Italy. The spokesman said its business in Italy would not be affected by the protracted legal row.
SABMiller has said that it expects the Chinese beer brand Snow, in which it owns a 49% share, to become the second biggest beer brand in the world this year....
Anheuser-Busch has declined to comment on press speculation linking it to a possible bid for its arch rival Budejovicky Budvar....
Grupo Modelo has had its share coverage lifted....
Grolsch has posted a slight lift in its results for the first half of this year....
InBev is looking to invest up to EUR60m (US$82.8m) in operations at three of its European breweries....
The Beer Institute has lobbied the US government to the tune of US$310,000 in H1, according to a disclosure form....
SABMiller has played down suggestions that it is mulling acquisitions in Germany....
Beer appears to be the alcoholic drink of choice in the developing BRIC markets, according to a series of recent reports....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages