CZECH/ITALY: Budvar to launch Italy Bud appeal
Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar has decided to fight on its bid to gain the rights to the Budweiser trademark in Italy.
The brewer, which has fought a century-long battle with Anheuser-Busch over the Budweiser name, is seeking to reverse this week's ruling from an appeals court in Italy that had ruled in favour of the US brewer.
This week, the Court of Appeals of Rome ordered the cancellation of three registered trademarks held by Budejovicky Budvar. The court also ruled that the Czech brewer does not have the right to use Budweiser as a protected geographic indication in Italy.
When contacted by just-drinks today (23 March), a Budvar spokesman confirmed the company's plan to launch a fresh appeal but declined to comment further.
Since 2005, the brewer has used the Budejovicky Budvar name to sell its flagship beer in Italy. The spokesman said its business in Italy would not be affected by the protracted legal row.
SABMiller has said that it expects the Chinese beer brand Snow, in which it owns a 49% share, to become the second biggest beer brand in the world this year....
Anheuser-Busch has declined to comment on press speculation linking it to a possible bid for its arch rival Budejovicky Budvar....
Grupo Modelo has had its share coverage lifted....
Grolsch has posted a slight lift in its results for the first half of this year....
InBev is looking to invest up to EUR60m (US$82.8m) in operations at three of its European breweries....
The Beer Institute has lobbied the US government to the tune of US$310,000 in H1, according to a disclosure form....
SABMiller has played down suggestions that it is mulling acquisitions in Germany....
Beer appears to be the alcoholic drink of choice in the developing BRIC markets, according to a series of recent reports....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends