FINLAND: Budvar takes latest Budweiser ruling
Budejovicky Budvar has claimed victory over Anheuser-Busch in Finland over trademark rights to the Budweiser name.
The development marks the latest in the long-running battle between the two brewers over ownership of the Budweiser trademark.
Late last week, Finland's high court upheld a previous court decision allowing Budvar to use the Budejovicky Budvar trademark in the country. The ruling also awarded Budvar's trading company the right to use the name Budweiser Budvar N.C., a spokesman for the brewer told local press. The court's decision is final, the spokesman added.
However, yesterday (5 January), Anheuser-Busch International CEO and president Steve Burrows said that theUS brewing giant was pleased that the court had recognised its trademark rights to 'Budweiser' and 'Bud' in Finland.
"We are disappointed the court, in the same ruling, has allowed Budejovicky Budvar to refer to its company as Budweiser Budvar, National Enterprise in Finland," Burrows said. Anheuser-Busch has 'Bud' and 'Budweiser' trademark protection in 21 of 25 EU nations, Burrows added.
In November 2004, the Finnish Court was told by the European Court of Justice that it would have to decide for itself who should control the Budweiser trademark.
The two companies are still involved in around 40 more lawsuits worldwide regarding the use of 'Budweiser.'
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Anheuser-Busch may have to reinstate workers it dismissed after catching inappropriate behaviour using hidden cameras....
Anheuser-Busch is to follow the US launch of its B(E) beer by rolling out the brand in the UK....
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch said today that it had seen its earnings per share fall 3% in the first quarter of the year, compared to the same period last year as it was hit by difficult trading condi...
Patrick Stokes, president and chief executive officer of Anheuser-Busch Companies, has said that the company's board of directors has declared a regular quarterly dividend....
Berkshire Hathaway Inc., the holding company of billionaire Warren Buffett, has acquired a significant stake in Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has threatened to stop buying rice from Missouri if the state allows genetically modified, drug-making crops to grow within its borders....
China's largest brewer Tsingtao Brewery has reported a 16.4% jump in net profit for the year to Y285m, according to local reports....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research