CZECH: Budvar silent as privatisation issue reappears
Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar has refused to be drawn on reports that the country's government could privatise the company.
According to Czech newspaper Hospodarske Noviny today (20 February), the Czech government's trade and industry minister is keeping an open mind on the prospect of a sale.
"The Budvar brand is worth CZK20-30bn (US$933m-1.4bn)," Martin Riman, minister of industry and trade, told the paper. "I don't see any reason why the state shouldn't sell the brewery."
The brewer, however, stayed silent on the reports. "Our company has no comment to make on this issue," a Budvar spokesman told just-drinks.
Last year, Budvar faced uncertainty regarding its future when opposing political parties in the Czech Republic became embroiled in a spat over the state-run brewer.
Beer production in the Czech Republic hit a record high in the first half of this year, according to recent figures....
Budejovicky Budvar has seen beer exports to the US leap in the first half of this year....
Budejovicky Budvar has sold 11% more beer in H1 than last year, according to reports....
Anheuser-Busch has claimed victory over Budejovicky Budvar in 12 European trademark decisions. The Czech-based brewer, however, has moved to play down the ruling, claiming it is "not a threat" to its ...
Czech brewing company Budejovicky Budvar is considering plans to distribute Carlsberg beer in the Czech Republic....
Anheuser-Busch says it has come out on top in the latest two rounds of its trademark row with Budejovicky Budvar....
Budejovicky Budvar has claimed victory in the latest twist in its long-running trademark battle with Anheuser-Busch....
The Czech Prime Minister is to visit state-owned brewer Budejovicky Budvar on Friday (6 April) to hold talks on the company's future, just-drinks understands....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer