CZECH REPUBLIC: Budvar claims victory in Portugal/Lithuania
According to a statement from Budvar, the Portuguese national patent office has apparently sided with Budvar's objections to Anheuser-Busch patent applications for the "Budweiser" and "Budweiser King of Beers" trademarks.
The ruling apparently sided with a previous Supreme Court judgement that said Budejovicky Budvar had historical rights to the 'Budweiser Budvar' trademark, based on the place of origin of the same name (Budejovice, or Budweis in German).
Budweiser said it would be appealing the ruing and expected to prevail. In the present the ruling had no effect on the company's business.
Meanwhile, in Lithuania a court rejected Anheuser-Busch's application for a reversal of the country's patent office that refused registration for the Budweiser trademarks of Anheuser-Busch.
The Budvar statement said the Lithuanian court argued that Budvar had already registered the same and similar trademarks. It said it was irrelevant that the Budweiser mark is used widely by Anheuser-Busch in other countries.
Anheuser-Busch holds the rights to the "Bud" trademark in both Portugal and Lithuania.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Anheuser-Busch may have to reinstate workers it dismissed after catching inappropriate behaviour using hidden cameras....
Anheuser-Busch is to follow the US launch of its B(E) beer by rolling out the brand in the UK....
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch said today that it had seen its earnings per share fall 3% in the first quarter of the year, compared to the same period last year as it was hit by difficult trading condi...
Patrick Stokes, president and chief executive officer of Anheuser-Busch Companies, has said that the company's board of directors has declared a regular quarterly dividend....
Berkshire Hathaway Inc., the holding company of billionaire Warren Buffett, has acquired a significant stake in Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has threatened to stop buying rice from Missouri if the state allows genetically modified, drug-making crops to grow within its borders....
China's largest brewer Tsingtao Brewery has reported a 16.4% jump in net profit for the year to Y285m, according to local reports....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- New CEO sparks optimism at Coca-Cola - Analysis
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Johnnie Walker Bourbon Cask & Rye Finish - NPD
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report