CHINA: Budvar bullish about entry prospects
Budejovicky Budvar has moved nearer to entering China's beer market after a court in Beijing rejected an appeal from Anheuser-Busch over the registration of the Czech brewer's trademark in the country.
Budvar said today (13 July) that the court's decision supported a ruling last year that allowed the brewer to register the Budejovický Budvar trademark in China.
"The court's final ruling is an important step towards the definite registration of our trademarks. We have significantly reached the point where the Chinese market will be open for us," a Budvar spokesman told just-drinks.
The two brewers are locked in a series of disputes over the Budweiser trademark around the world. Budvar said its battle in China began in 1997 when it submitted an application for the Budejovický Budvar trademark.
A-B has had two appeals against the registration dismissed in 2001 and in 2005. However, the Budvar spokesman said the US brewing giant could yet launch a fresh appeal.
A-B officials could not be reached for comment. A-B owns a 27% stake in China's largest brewer Tsingtao.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The century-old rivalry between Anheuser-Busch and Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar took an unexpected twist earlier this week when the two brewers signed an import deal for the US market. However, des...
Anheuser-Busch cannot use the Budweiser name in Portugal, the highest chamber of the European Court of Human Rights has ruled....
Anheuser-Busch has confirmed details of its latest quarterly dividend payment....
Vietnamese state-owned drinks group Sabeco is reportedly set to build five breweries this year as it triples investment behind its production capacity....
Anheuser-Busch approached Czech rival Budejovicky Budvar to start the talks that led to the two companies signing an import deal for the US market, just-drinks has learnt....
InBev has remodelled its import business in the US to focus on its Labatt brands from Canada and Brazilian beer Brahma....
Anheuser-Busch has refused to be drawn on reports linking it to the takeover of US craft brewer Old Dominion Brewing Co....
Anheuser-Busch has signed a US import deal with Czech arch-rival Budejovicky Budvar in a deal that will stun many in the beer industry....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends