UK: Budget meets mixed trade reaction
The UK Budget has met with mixed reaction today (22 March) after Chancellor Gordon Brown froze duty on spirits and sparkling wine but raised taxes on wine and beer.
The Chancellor announced that the duty on beer would rise by 1p in line with inflation but hit wine with a 4p (US$0.07) hike.
The UK's Wine & Spirit Trade Association said it was "delighted" with the freeze on spirits duty but condemned the move on wine.
"We are very disappointed that there will be a further duty increase of 4p on a bottle of wine at a time when there are strong indications that the rate of wine market growth is slowing," said WSTA chief executive Jeremy Beadles.
"The impact of the increase will be exacerbated as the Trade will have only four days to implement the change."
However, The Scotch Whisky Association said the Chancellor would be praised by the country's distillers for "taking another welcome step towards delivering a fairer alcohol duty regime in the UK".
SWA chief executive Gavin Hewitt said: "A fairer alcohol duty regime helps support a key British industry in its home market and sends a message of tax fairness overseas, as distillers look to develop new opportunities in emerging markets such as China and India."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Comment - Will the Sweetener Battle turn Sour?
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets