CZECH: Budejovicky Budvar sets over-21 "age limit" on strong beer
Click through to view Budvar's gift pack and age-limit statement
Budejovicky Budvar's brand Premier Select is to carry an over-21 age recommendation because only “connoisseurs” with drinking experience can appreciate it, the company has said.
The recommendation is printed on labels and packaging and also on POS materials promoting the 7.5% abv pilsner in the Czech Republic, the brewer told just-drinks today (20 March). It will also feature on the Premier Select gift pack, launched in the country last week, Budvar said.
“The beer is very special and the flavour and taste need to be experienced by connoisseurs who can appreciate the quality of the beer,” a company spokesperson said.
Budvar had earlier said the recommendation also served to warn young people of the label's higher alcohol content. It also said the age limit could not be legally enforced and was a “voluntary contribution to public education”.
This week Budvar launched a limited-edition release of Premier Select into the on-trade made with freshly harvested hops.
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- What's in store for Super Bowl 5 - Focus
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research