CZECH/US: Budejovicky Budvar drops Anheuser-Busch InBev in US
Budejovicky Budvar will switch US distributor at the end of this week
The Czech company, which has been in a long-running legal tussle with A-B InBev over the Budweiser trademark, selected Anheuser-Busch to import and sell Czechvar in the US back in 2007. However, Budvar said earlier today (3 July) that it will switch the brand to Connecticut-based United States Beverage from the end of this week.
According to Budvar, in 2011, Czechvar only achieved 30% of the target for sales volumes in the US agreed between the two companies.
“Regrettably, our partner did not fundamentally meet the business targets that should have been achieved under the contract,” said Budvar's sales manager for North America, Vlasta Kociánová.
“Having not accomplished the sales volume, the company seriously breached the contract, which in January 2012 resulted in our decision to terminate our partnership with A-B InBev.
“This week, the six-month notice period elapses and as of 7 July, the distribution of Czechvar in the US will be taken over by our new importer.”
Budvar pointed to InBev's purchase of Anheuser-Busch in 2008 as the signal for a change in strategy for the US brewer in its home market.
“Following a change in the owner,” Budvar said, “the business concept of the company changed, resulting in the decline of interest in bringing imported brands to the US, as A-B InBev obtained a wide brand portfolio from the original InBev group for North America.”
United States Beverage's distribution portfolio includes Tiger Beer from Singapore and several brands from Grupo Damm, including Estrella Damm and Daura. “We anticipate selling around 9,000 hectolitres of Czechvar in the US,” concluded Kociánová.
Czechvar is the name Budvar uses for its namesake brand in the US to circumvent the trademark row between the two in the country.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces written by our regular columnists o...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World