UK: Bruichladdich reports strong full year growth
Bruichladdich, the Islay-based whisky distiller, has reported a 58% increase in profit before tax, for its full year, up to GBP831,000 (US$1.6m). Single malt sales increased 34% against average industry growth of 3%, the company said.
The strong performance continues the improvement in both turnover and profitability achieved since the private distillery was resurrected in 2001, having been closed for several years.
Gross profit margins remained constant, while earnings before interest, depreciation, tax and goodwill rose 37% to GBP1,535,000. Group turnover grew 28% to GBP6,864,000.
The company said that during the year, a new warehouse area was built to facilitate bottling efficiency, GBP725,000 of bulk whisky was acquired, 700,000 litres of new spirit distilled increasing whisky stocks to GBP13.7m at today's value.
Despite high barley and oil costs distillation volume increased by 10%.
Managing director Mark Reynier said: "We are very pleased with these results which are a credit to the whole team. There's a growing demand for quality, variety and originality which we intend to satisfy.
"Our profits are entirely reinvested in more whisky stocks and investing in our operations such as Tropos, a GBP250,000 fully-integrated enterprise resource planning system, as we continue to grow."
Financial doom and despond may currently pervade the world of high-flying corporate executives but, Ian Buxton writes, spirits marketers expect high-priced, ultra-premium brands to continue their stro...
The South African whisky market grew by an estimated 16.2% in 2007 to over 3.5m cases. According to The IWSR's South Africa Wine and Spirits 2008 report, growth was largely driven by Jameson, Jack Dan...
What is thought to be the world's largest whisky collection is set be put on display in Scotland, after being purchased by Diageo....
Maxxium has launched a limited edition Christmas pack for The Edrington Group's Famous Grouse Scotch whisky brand in the UK off-trade....
A 100-year-old bottle of Scotch whisky, discovered in a cupboard in the US and considered one of the rarest in the world, is going up for auction next month....
Diageo has removed the "Special" from its Crown Royal Special Reserve brand, but claims it has not altered the Canadian whisky's composition....
Berry Bros. & Rudd has lined up the latest addition to its Blue Hanger blended Scotch portfolio....
Italian drinks group Campari has begun building a new factory to produce spirits brands in Brazil....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits