US: Brown-Forman toasts strong Q1
- First-quarter net profits rise by 6% to US$118m
- Net sales up by 13% to $840.3m
- Operating profits increased by 8% to $185.9m
- Jack Daniel's distiller retains full-year guidance
Brown-Forman has reaffirmed its full-year profits and sales guidance after making a strong start to its fiscal year.
Higher advertising spend behind key brands and growing demand for the likes of Jack Daniel's and Woodford Reserve outside of the US helped Brown-Forman to increase net sales by 13% for the three months to the end of July. Sales reached $840.3m for the period, also boosted by a improvements in the US spirits market and a weak US$ currency.
An increased marketing spend for the period meant that profits increased less sharply than net sales. Operating profits rose by 8% on the same period of last year, to $185.9m, while net profits rose by 6% to $118m, Brown-Forman said today (31 August).
The group reaffirmed its full-year guidance, with earnings per share set to hit between $3.45 and $3.85. The company did not raise guidance, it said, because it remains cautious ahead of the all-important holiday season in the US.
"In this quarter, we continued to enjoy widespread international growth," said Brown-Forman's CEO, Paul Varga. "We also saw an important acceleration of our US business, driven by the continued growth of the Jack Daniel’s trademark and super-premium brands, as well as the launch of Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey." Southern Comfort and el Jimador continued to be a drag on results, however.
For the company's announcement, click here.
The spirits category is up next in this, the third part of just-drinks' first management briefing of 2012. Here, Spiros Malandrakis and Jeremy Cunnington, alcoholics drinks analysts at Euromonitor Int...
The final part in Euromonitor's preview of 2012 for now - soft drinks & water will be covered in the coming days - concerns itself with wine. Spiros Malandrakis and Jeremy Cunnington, alcoholics drink...
We have yet to see the official figures on the US spirits market in 2011, but the signs suggest that renewed momentum in premium has been maintained....
This week is prediction week on just-drinks. On Thursday, Chris Losh will give us his annual, tongue-in-cheek forecasts for the coming year. Today, however, Ian Buxton, consider what might happen in b...
US whiskey producers should begin to benefit from their country's free trade agreement with South Korea within a month....
Major spirits companies grouped within the European Forum for Responsible Drinking have launched a website to help others promote their brands responsibly on the internet....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets