AUSTRALIA: Brown-Forman to acquire distributor
Brown-Forman is to acquire the whole of Australian distributor Swift and Moore Pty Limited. The US wine and spirits group already owns 50% of the business, with Pernod Ricard holding the other 50% following the French company's acquisition of Allied Domecq earlier this year.
Brown-Forman said it would continue the exclusive distribution of its portfolio of brands (Jack Daniel's, Southern Comfort, Finlandia Vodka, Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniel's Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve and Tuaca liqueur) in Australia through Swift & Moore.
However, Swift & Moore is now also expected to become a wholly owned subsidiary of Brown-Forman in February 2006.
The changes are expected to result in the eventual elimination of approximately 35 positions in Swift & Moore, which represents less than 20% of the total workforce. These will primarily be in areas directly related to the marketing of Allied Domecq brands and other support roles, with virtually no change to the customer-facing sales force.
Pernod Ricard has decided to withdraw as 50% shareholder of Swift & Moore and to transfer distribution of Ballantines Scotch, Beefeater Gin, Kahlua, Malibu and Tia Maria Liqueurs to its wholly-owned subsidiary, Orlando Wyndham, in February 2006.
The president of Brown-Forman Spirits Asia-Pacific, Stuart Beck, said: "Swift & Moore has a long history with Brown-Forman brands, and an outstanding sales record in the Australian market. The decision to bring Swift & Moore into the Brown-Forman family is a natural extension of our current relationship and a reflection of our confidence in its ability to represent our brands and our company culture."
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
Pernod Ricard has had its rating raised....
Brown-Forman Beverages has replaced Bacardi as its spirits distributor in Canada....
Samuel Adams Brewery has secured a production deal with Brown-Forman....
A director of Brown-Forman Corp. has sold part of his holding in the company....
Brown-Forman Corporation has elected Patrick Bousquet-Chavanne to the company's board of directors....
Allied Domecq has added a new flavour to its Malibu range. The company said yesterday that it would be launching Malibu Passion Fruit in the US from April 15....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are considering a US$13 billion bid for Allied Domecq, the world's second-largest spirits company. Were it to take place, Pernod and Fortune would split Allied's brand...
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research