US/FRANCE: Brown-Forman silent over Remy Cointreau bid speculation
The company has struggled of late
Brown-Forman has declined to comment on speculation it is eyeing a bid for Remy Cointreau, while shares in the French group have been boosted by the rumours.
Financial blog Betaville claimed yesterday (3 April), based on anonymous sources, that Brown-Forman has been working with a “few” investment banks with a view to acquiring Remy. “Tentative” discussions have also been held between banking advisers of both companies, the blog claimed.
In a statement to just-drinks today, a Brown-Forman spokesperson said: “We don't comment on or respond to rumours or reports about acquisitions, divestitures or other financial matters.”
Nobody from Remy Cointreau was immediately availabile for comment.
Shares in Remy initially soared by up to 10% today, but are now trading up 3.86% at EUR61.42.
In January, the French group reported a 12% drop in nine-month sales, blaming the slowdown for international spirits in China. The company had previously issued a profits warning off the back of its first-half results.
The group's CEO quit in January after only three months in the job. The role is currently being filled by chairman François Hériard Dubreuil on an interim basis.
- Winners & losers of AB InBev's SABMiller takeover
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- How big is MegaBrew? ABI/SAB market share, brands
- Anheuser-Busch InBev wins SABMiller's hand
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Ketel One co-owner now Bols' largest shareholder
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report