US/FRANCE: Brown-Forman silent over Remy Cointreau bid speculation
The company has struggled of late
Brown-Forman has declined to comment on speculation it is eyeing a bid for Remy Cointreau, while shares in the French group have been boosted by the rumours.
Financial blog Betaville claimed yesterday (3 April), based on anonymous sources, that Brown-Forman has been working with a “few” investment banks with a view to acquiring Remy. “Tentative” discussions have also been held between banking advisers of both companies, the blog claimed.
In a statement to just-drinks today, a Brown-Forman spokesperson said: “We don't comment on or respond to rumours or reports about acquisitions, divestitures or other financial matters.”
Nobody from Remy Cointreau was immediately availabile for comment.
Shares in Remy initially soared by up to 10% today, but are now trading up 3.86% at EUR61.42.
In January, the French group reported a 12% drop in nine-month sales, blaming the slowdown for international spirits in China. The company had previously issued a profits warning off the back of its first-half results.
The group's CEO quit in January after only three months in the job. The role is currently being filled by chairman François Hériard Dubreuil on an interim basis.
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research