US: Brown-Forman Q1 profits jump, sales dip
Brown-Forman has posted a strong rise in profits for its first fiscal quarter, despite a slip in sales for the period.
The US-based drinks company said today (2 September) that net profits for the three months to the end of July climbed by 38% on the corresponding quarter a year ago, to come in at US$121.4m. Operating profits followed suit, increasing by 37% to $192m, although sales slowed by 7%, falling to $737.9m.
Brown-Forman said its sales performance in the period was affected by "global on-premise declines and trading down by consumers".
Paul Varga, the company's CEO, said: "We believe our ... strong underlying operating income growth in the quarter continued to be in the top tier of the industry. We will continue to strive for an appropriate balance of supporting our brands' growth and equity while also delivering operating expense efficiencies in this challenging economic environment."
Looking forward, brown-Forman said its fiscal 2010 full-year earnings outlook remains unchanged at between $2.60 and $3.00 per share. "We are pleased with our good start to the year but we believe the environment will remain uncertain and challenging," Varga added.
Late last year, Brown-Forman started on a strategy to offload peripheral sections of its portfolio by selling the Bolla and Fontana Candida wine brands to Gruppo Italiano Vini for an undisclosed fee.
An update, following the company's results conference, appears here.
Yesterday (2 September), Brown-Forman posted a better-than-expected set of first quarter results. Company CEO, Paul Varga spoke exclusively to just-drinks yesterday afternoon, to explain the secret be...
Jack Daniel's whiskey owner Brown-Forman lifted its full-year profits guidance on Tuesday (8 December), exceeding expectations and moving analysts to raise their fair value estimate on the firm. Miche...
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits