US: Brown-Forman Q1 on the up
Brown-Forman has posted rising sales and profits during its first quarter to 31 July.
The US company, which also said yesterday (30 August) that it is considering selling its leather goods division Hartmann, saw sales for the three-month period rise 17% to US$639.7m. Earnings from continuing operations, meanwhile, rose less impressively, by 7% to US$93.8m.
The group credited volume growth and margin improvement of its premium global portfolio, led by Jack Daniel's whiskey, for the strong performance. Global depletions for Jack Daniel's grew at a mid-single digit rate in the quarter, the company noted.
Moving forward, Brown-Forman maintained a full-year earnings outlook of between US$3.10 and US$3.30 per share, representing growth of 7% to 14%.
"Despite the favourable impact of foreign exchange," Brown-Forman said, "the company has not changed its outlook for the remainder of this fiscal year given the uncertainty surrounding the domestic economic environment, slightly moderating US growth trends for Jack Daniel's, and the impact of lower volumes and higher costs for the company's mid-priced wine brands."
Earlier this week, Brown-Forman closed its acquisition of Casa Herradura's Tequila assets for US$876m.
The group will acquire the Herradura and El Jimador Tequilas and the New Mix Tequila-based RTD brand from the 136-year-old company. Other assets included in the purchase are Tequila production facilities and a sales and distribution organisation in Mexico.
In our first Just the Answer interview of 2007, Dean Best spoke with Nick Blacknell, brand director for Beefeater at Pernod Ricard subsidiary Chivas Brothers, about the company's ambitious re-launch o...
Fetzer Vineyards has lined up a new French wine offering for the US....
The owner of vodka brand Iceberg has appointed a national agent for its brand in Canada....
The Patrón Spirits Company has struck a key duty-free deal with a listing at World Duty Free stores at the UK's largest airports....
Distell managing director Jan Scannell believes the company's cider sales will continue to thrive this year and offset a challenging European wine market....
Belvédère has posted a huge leap in sales for last year, thanks to its purchase of Marie Brizard & Roger International....
Soyuz Victan USA has announced a flurry of management appointments....
V&S Group has insisted it can do more to drive profits and boost the value of the business. The comments came after V&S chief executive Bengt Baron said the Swedish state-owned company is not yet "at ...
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review