US: Brown-Forman Q1 net income down 14%
The company, which produces Jack Daniel's and Southern Comfort, posted net income of US$31.1m, or 51 cents a share, for the first quarter of the current fiscal year, representing a fall of 14% from US$36.1m, or 53 cents a share, from the corresponding quarter last year.
The company said its sales of consumer goods had been soft in the first quarter and profits had also been hit by the settlement of a lawsuit over the distribution of Jack Daniel's in the UK which had reduced earnings by 11 cents per share.
Diageo, whose contract to distribute JD expired in July 2002, had contended that it had the right to extend the contract for a further three years and claimed damages of between £35m and £42m. The companies settled with Brown-Forman paying Diageo £8.9m. Without the charge related to the lawsuit, net income would have been 62 cents a share.
However, that still would have been below analysts' forecasts which had averaged at around 66 cents a share.
Sales in the quarter to the end of July increased by 11% from US$479.6m to US$532.6m. While sales of consumer goods fell by 8.8%, beverage turnover was up by 18% at US$423.7m. Brown-Forman also reported that profit from the beverage division rose by 16% on the back of the weaker dollar and the new distribution arrangements in the UK with Bacardi.
The company confirmed its EPS forecast for the full fiscal year of US$4.10 to US$4.30, stating that growth in spirits sales, improved results from its wine operations and the weaker US dollar continued to support its outlook for the year.
Diageo is to launch a national advertising campaign for its gin band Tanqueray in the US....
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Allied Domecq and Pernod Ricard have both been downgraded....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Brown-Forman has restructured its distribution set up for Europe, entering into new agreements for its spirits brands in a number of countries, including Italy, Spain, and Germany....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages