US: Brown-Forman 'pleased' after Popcorn Sutton lawsuit settlement
Brown-Forman argued the packaging was too similar to its Jack Daniel's
Brown-Forman argued in a lawsuit last year that the packaging for Popcorn Sutton's Tennessee White Whiskey was “confusingly similar” to that of Jack Daniel's. However, the two parties have agreed a settlement that will see the smaller producer change its packaging, according to Brown-Forman.
Todd Campell, a US District Judge, granted a joint motion for dismissal of the lawsuit, the website Law360 reported yesterday (5 May).
In a statement to just-drinks today (6 May), a Brown-Forman spokesperson said: “Brown-Forman and Jack Daniel's Properties are pleased that an amicable settlement was reached and that Popcorn Sutton has agreed to change to a new bottle.
“The agreement calls for Popcorn Sutton to stop using the offending packaging by July 1, but consumers may see this existing packaging for a while as it sells through the retail trade before being replaced by the new bottle.”
The spokesperson declined to say whether there was any financial element to the settlement.
Popcorn Sutton has yet to respond to a request for comment. The company's whiskey is named after Appalachian moonshine producer Marvin 'Popcorn' Sutton. He committed suicide in 2009.
Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018
Non-Scotch whiskies in aggregate represent an enormous and growing category, with Irish whiskey in particular showing real momentum. With over 100 data tables and unique insight, this new joint IWSR/j...read more
Brown-Forman Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service...
Through much of the review period, Brown-Forman has struggled for growth. However, in 2012 its rate of growth picked up as the early results of its 10-year plan, announced in 2010, started to show as ...
Spirits in Portugal industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contai...
Spirits in New Zealand industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also con...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018