US: Brown-Forman makes Chambord liqueur purchase
Brown-Forman has acquired the French raspberry liqueur brand Chambord.
The US drinks company announced today (16 March) that it had reached agreement with Chambord's owner and producer, Charles Jacquin et Cie, to purchase the brand and assets for a cash sum of US$255m.
"We have a particular way of going about building brands, and we feel that this brand fits that profile," a spokesperson for B-F told just-drinks today. "It's characteristic of (B-F-owned) Southern Comfort and Tuaca in that it is unique and doesn't have any direct competitors. It is a must-stock brand here in the US."
Chambord has seen around 85% of its volumes being sold in the US, the majority of which has come from the on-trade, where it is used in cocktails. "It's done well since it originated in the early 80s, but we think we can do even better with it," the spokesperson added.
Looking at future growth for Chambord, the spokesperson said that B-F would look to grow the brand outside the US, although he would not be drawn on specifics. "Total case volume in 2005 was 145,000 cases, so it's a good-sized brand but it has a great opportunity to grow," the spokesperson added.
"We are thrilled to add Chambord to Brown-Forman's portfolio of brands," added Paul Varga, B-F's CEO. "We have admired from afar the healthy, consistent manner in which it has been built, and look forward to developing it further in the many years ahead."
Brown-Forman has signed its first Southern Hemisphere wine....
Brown-Forman has announced the next step in its succession plan....
US wine and spirits group, Brown-Forman, has announced a quarterly cash dividend of 24.50 cents per share on Class A and Class B Common Stock, following a board meeting....
Brown-Forman has reported earnings growth of 21% for its fiscal year to 30 April....
The US wines and spirits company, Brown-Forman, has launched its vodka brand, Finlandia, in India. Along with the core brand, three flavoured versions of Finlandia are also to be made available on the...
A bidding war for Allied Domecq looks more likely after Constellation Brands confirmed yesterday that it has approached the Bristol-based spirits company about launching a bid to rival that of Pernod ...
The likelihood of Pernod Ricard remaining the sole bidder for Allied Domecq has reduced over the last two days....
A host of drinks companies spent the weekend mulling over whether to launch counter-bids for Allied Domecq, according to press reports over the last few days....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- The new Johnnie Walker ad and today's consumers
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- Moet Hennessy hails Formula One deal for Chandon
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research