US: Brown-Forman introduces lighter bottles for Fetzer Vineyards
Brown-Forman has upped the environmental credentials for its Californian wine brand Fetzer Vineyards.
The wine and spirits group said yesterday (14 October) that it will introduce lighter weight bottles across its entire like of Fetzer wines. The new bottles will reduce glass usage at Fetzer by 16%, Brown-Forman said.
The change in Fetzer's wine bottles will continue with both 750ml and 1.5-litre sizes and all varietals. On average, the wine brand's bottles will move from 20.3oz to 17oz. In all, more than 23m bottles of wine will be replaced in the programme.
"Fetzer's pioneering efforts at being the 'Earth-friendly wine' is more than just an advertising tagline, it's a philosophy that permeates everything we do at the winery," said Ann Thrupp, manager of sustainability at Fetzer. "Lightweighting our bottle is a double-bottom line innovation — good for the environment and for efficient operations — that supports our goal of being a sustainable business."
Fetzer has been a strong advocate of environmentally-friendly farming over the last 20 years. The company uses recycled materials in all packaging — wine bottles are made from 35% recycled glass on average and box partitions use 100% recycled material — and has reduced waste to landfills by 95% since 1990.
New guidelines have just been introduced by the European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD) regarding online media. However, while the guidelines enhance the self-regulatory framework of the spirit...
Recent results suggest all spirits companies are feeling the effects of the downturn but some are better equipped for long-term growth than others. Jeremy Cunnington of Euromonitor International asses...
Bourbon distillers have been left incensed by the introduction of a tax rise on alcohol in their Kentucky homeland, also one of their strongest markets....
Whyte & Mackay has appointed a new CEO. The Scotch whisky firm, which was bought by India's UB Group in 2007, said today (24 March) that John Beard started in the new position yesterday, replacing Ash...
The Charmer Sunbelt Group (CSG) has taken on the distribution of Bacardi USA and Brown-Forman's brands in a handful of states in the US....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
A consumer shift to lower-price Bourbon has begun to eat into Brown-Forman's flagship Jack Daniel's and Southern Comfort brands, but several analysts believe the US drinks group remains in decent shap...
Two UK drinks containing vodka are being forced to re-brand following a complaint under the Portman Group's code of practice....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts