US: Brown-Forman hits out at tax plans
Testifying before the Kentucky House Appropriations and Revenue Committee in Frankfort yesterday, TJ Graven, director of investor relations for Louisville-based Brown-Forman Corporation, criticized the Governor's Alcohol Tax Plan as being unfair and detrimental to the economic competitiveness of Kentucky.
Graven noted that if the Governor's plan is approved it would give Kentucky - the birthplace and home of bourbon - the dubious distinction of being the highest taxing license state in America for distilled spirits.
"Distilled spirits are already the highest taxed consumer product in Kentucky. The administration proposal would make a bad situation much worse. It would subject off-premise sales of our products to triple taxation - once on the supplier level, once at the wholesale level and once at the retail level," Graven said.
He went on to label this approach as being "punitive" and contrasted it with California, which has the 44th lowest wine tax in the country, and Missouri - the home of Anheuser-Busch - which has the lowest beer tax in the nation.
"You do not create jobs and promote economic development by taxing home state products into oblivion," he said.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Samuel Adams Brewery has secured a production deal with Brown-Forman....
A director of Brown-Forman Corp. has sold part of his holding in the company....
Anheuser-Busch has threatened to stop buying rice from Missouri if the state allows genetically modified, drug-making crops to grow within its borders....
Brown-Forman Corporation has elected Patrick Bousquet-Chavanne to the company's board of directors....
Anheuser-Busch has increased its economic interest in China's Tsingtao to 27% upon its conversion of all the remaining convertible bonds in Tsingtao....
Equity analyst Legg Mason has downgraded its rating of the US brewer Anheuser-Busch from "hold" to "sell" after the company issued a statement saying it expected sales below previous estimates....
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch Cos has reported first quarter 2005 domestic beer volumes below previous expectations....
- Pernod Ricard's Q3 2017 trading update - Preview
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- How soft drinks brands manage to offend consumers
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- William Grant snaps up Tuthilltown Spirits in US
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020