US: Brown-Forman downgraded as Bacardi speculation subsides
UBS said yesterday (28 April) that it has reduced its rating on Brown-Forman, owner of the Jack Daniel's whiskey brand, prompting the drinks group's share price to fall by 3.4% to US$44 on the New York stock exchange by the end of the day.
The banking giant said that gains to B-F's share price over the last week had become unrealistic, because it does not consider a deal with Bacardi to be "imminent".
Brown-Forman's (B-F) shares have risen sharply in the second half of April, triggered first by speculation that Diageo might be peparing a bid for the group and then propelled forward by rumours of merger talks between B-F and Bacardi.
B-F and Bacardi have declined to comment on the rumours.
just-drinks understands from a source close to the situation that talks have taken place between the two companies, but a deal is believed to remain a long way off.
Some analysts have said that the deal would make strategic sense, with both firms too small to challenge the might of Diageo and Pernod Ricard as independent entities. Other think that a split in B-F's controlling family could ultimately prevent a deal.
John Wakely, an independent industry analyst formerly of Lehman Brothers, said at last week's World Whiskies Conference that he was sceptical of a deal in the next year.
The decision by Pernod Ricard to rejoin the Century Council in the US followed the departure of both Brown-Forman and Jim Beam from NASCAR motor racing sponsorship. As Pernod Ricard's decision to leav...
As Pernod Ricard names a new brand director for its gin brands, a recently published report from just-drinks/IWSR suggests it will not be an easy category from which to extract growth. Ben Cooper repo...
Brown-Forman has launched a number of interactive online platforms for its El Jimador Tequila brand....
Bacardi has appointed a brand ambassador for its Grey Goose vodka brand in the North American markets....
Bacardi Brown-Forman has launched what it claims is its biggest marketing campaign for Southern Comfort in the UK in the run up to Christmas....
Brown-Forman has created an executive position to oversee its operations in northern Asia....
The US arm of Pernod Ricard is set to rejoin the country's spirits trade body, The Century Council....
Bacardi has launched a global multi-media advertising campaign entitled "Spirit of Bacardi"....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research