US: Brown-Forman details Distell, Wray & Nephew wrap-ups
Brown-Forman has moved to clarify the recent announcement that it is terminating two marketing agreements in the US.
The company confirmed yesterday (8 January) that its collaborations with Wray & Nephew and Distell Group in the country are both set to end in the first half of this year.
Speaking to just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Brown-Forman detailed what had prompted the moves.
"The decision to terminate the Distell agreement was ours," the spokesperson said. "We began distributing (Distell's liqueur brand) Amarula in the US in 2001. Since then, we have acquired two brands - Tuaca and Chambord - which compete directly with Distell in the premium liqueur category. It made sense for us to focus on these brands, allowing Distell the opportunity to find a partner that can give Amarula clearer focus."
Regarding the closure of the Wray & Nephew deal, however, the spokesperson conceded that this had not been Brown-Forman's decision. "Late last year, Angostura said that they were in talks to buy (Wray & Nephew's parent company) Lascelles deMercado and Co.," the spokesperson said. "When we heard about this, we saw the handwriting on the wall. They (Wray & Nephew) told us that they wanted to terminate our agreement, which is in keeping when a company gets bought by someone like Angostura."
Yesterday, Wray & Nephew was at pains to point out that the move away from Brown-Forman did not indicate an immediate tie-up with Angostura in the US. Brown-Forman's move "does not signal any intention to consolidate J. Wray & Nephew's arrangements in the US with those of Angostura", Lascelles said.
The marketing relationships, both of which had run for six years, will end in March for Distell, and in April for Wray & Nephew.
Judge & Dolph, LLC president Rockwell Wirtz has closed a deal that creates the leading spirit, wine and malt beverage distributor in Illinois....
Distell has lined up a marketing promotion in the UK for its Two Oceans wine brand....
Brown-Forman has had its coverage rating raised by Standard & Poor's Ratings Services....
Remy Cointreau USA has appointed Xavier Desaulles as senior vice president - sales strategy. In this role, he will be charged with organising Remy Cointreau USA's wholesaler network and implementing t...
Distell Group has confirmed the appointment of two new directors and the resignation of one other....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Brown-Forman is to hold a six-month long celebration of the 75th anniversary of the end of prohibition....
Brown-Forman has posted record sales for its fiscal year, driven by a strong performance in its international markets....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future