US: Brown-Forman attacks plan to loosen "Tennessee Whiskey" rules
Jack Daniel's found 10% global sales growth in H1
The company claims that attempts to change legislation that currently requires designated “Tennessee Whiskey” to be aged only in new oak barrels will “dramatically diminish” quality in the industry. Companies including Diageo, which owns the Tennessee-based George Dickel whiskey, are pushing for the change as they claim it will benefit smaller distillers in the state.
But, Jack Daniel’s master distiller, Jeff Arnett, said on Friday (14 March): “This is not about the interests of micro distillers in our state. We support micro distillers. This is about Diageo, a large foreign company with more interest in Scotch and Bourbon, trying to weaken what Tennessee whiskey is and we simply shouldn’t allow it.”
Last year, Tennessee's General Assembly created a designation of “Tennessee Whiskey” as being made from fermented mash of at least 51% corn, aged in new oak barrels, charcoal mellowed and stored in the state. According to Jack Daniel's, reused barrels would not impart the same levels of colour and flavour and distillers would be forced to add artificial colourings and flavourings.
However, Diageo, and some smaller distilleries, claim that the rules are too close to the Jack Daniel's recipe and do not allow for variation.
"If I wanted my whiskey to taste like Jack Daniel's, I'd make it like Jack Daniel's," Phil Prichard, owner and master distiller of Prichard's Distillery, told the Tennessean newspaper.
North American whiskies are finding increased global demand. In Brown-Forman's first-half results, released in December, Jack Daniel's grew underlying net sales by 10%.
The Future of the UK Alcoholic Drinks Packaging to 2017
The report provides in-depth quantitative data on retail alcoholic drinks packaging, covering key segmentations such as pack material and type, closure material and type, outer and multi-pack informat...read more
Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled...
Analyses of the leading companies in the alcohol industry...
Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer