UK: Brown-Forman and Diageo to clash over rights to JD
Brown-Forman last week said in an SEC filing that it has filed a lawsuit against Diageo Great Britain seeking judicial confirmation that it had no obligation to renew its agreement with Diageo for the distribution of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey in the UK.
The distribution agreement came to an end on July 31st. And Brown-Forman said Diageo had an option to renew its exclusive distribution rights, provided it met certain performance criteria - as measured by the UK customs department import statistics - and made a renewal payment.
However, in the filing Brown-Forman says Diageo failed to meet either of these conditions. But according to the filing, Diageo is hitting back with a counterclaim asserting its right to renew the agreement. It is making a claim against Brown-Forman for lost profits of US$54m to US$66m from the distribution of Jack Daniel's whiskey during the renewal period.
Brown-Forman, however, believes its interpretation of the contract is correct and that Diageo Great Britain has no right to renew the agreement. It said that according to its legal advice, the case will not hurt its financial position.
Meanwhile, the filing went on to announce that senior vice president of Brown-Forman Beverages Worldwide and director of spirits sales for the US open states, W.L. Lyons Brown III, had resigned from the company for personal reasons.
Diageo is to launch a national advertising campaign for its gin band Tanqueray in the US....
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Allied Domecq and Pernod Ricard have both been downgraded....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Brown-Forman has restructured its distribution set up for Europe, entering into new agreements for its spirits brands in a number of countries, including Italy, Spain, and Germany....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- AB InBev targets South Africa with redundancy plan
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends