UK: Brown-Forman and Diageo to clash over rights to JD
Brown-Forman last week said in an SEC filing that it has filed a lawsuit against Diageo Great Britain seeking judicial confirmation that it had no obligation to renew its agreement with Diageo for the distribution of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey in the UK.
The distribution agreement came to an end on July 31st. And Brown-Forman said Diageo had an option to renew its exclusive distribution rights, provided it met certain performance criteria - as measured by the UK customs department import statistics - and made a renewal payment.
However, in the filing Brown-Forman says Diageo failed to meet either of these conditions. But according to the filing, Diageo is hitting back with a counterclaim asserting its right to renew the agreement. It is making a claim against Brown-Forman for lost profits of US$54m to US$66m from the distribution of Jack Daniel's whiskey during the renewal period.
Brown-Forman, however, believes its interpretation of the contract is correct and that Diageo Great Britain has no right to renew the agreement. It said that according to its legal advice, the case will not hurt its financial position.
Meanwhile, the filing went on to announce that senior vice president of Brown-Forman Beverages Worldwide and director of spirits sales for the US open states, W.L. Lyons Brown III, had resigned from the company for personal reasons.
Diageo is to launch a national advertising campaign for its gin band Tanqueray in the US....
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Allied Domecq and Pernod Ricard have both been downgraded....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Brown-Forman has restructured its distribution set up for Europe, entering into new agreements for its spirits brands in a number of countries, including Italy, Spain, and Germany....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Anheuser-Busch to cut 60 bottling jobs
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review