USA: Bronco opposes Napa Wine Bill
Bronco Wines is to challenge a law that says California vintners using the word "Napa" on their labels will be required to make their wine primarily from grapes grown in Napa County.A bill signed by California Governor Gray Davis closes a loophole ina federal law that says if a wine label contains a geographic term,at least 75% of grapes used to make the wine must have beengrown in that area.The loophole was that brands named before 1986 were not subject to the 75% ruling.The bill, which takes effect on 1 January 2001, was sought by the NapaValley Vintners Association, which represents 177 wineries.The group was prompted by Napa-based Beringer Wine Estates' January sale of its Napa Ridge brand to Bronco Wine of Ceres, California, for $40 million. Napa Ridge was subject to the loophole.The bill was opposed not only by Bronco, but also by Central Valleyfarmers who have signed contracts to provide grapes to Bronco.Bronco issued a statement on Thursday saying the new law "willhave an enormous and lasting negative impact on the California wineindustry".The company said it would challenge the new law in court.The bill, the statement said, "is economic protectionist,special-interest legislation that sanctions an unfair competitiveadvantage for just one of the 45 counties that produce wine andgrapes, Napa County."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research