USA: Bronco opposes Napa Wine Bill
Bronco Wines is to challenge a law that says California vintners using the word "Napa" on their labels will be required to make their wine primarily from grapes grown in Napa County.A bill signed by California Governor Gray Davis closes a loophole ina federal law that says if a wine label contains a geographic term,at least 75% of grapes used to make the wine must have beengrown in that area.The loophole was that brands named before 1986 were not subject to the 75% ruling.The bill, which takes effect on 1 January 2001, was sought by the NapaValley Vintners Association, which represents 177 wineries.The group was prompted by Napa-based Beringer Wine Estates' January sale of its Napa Ridge brand to Bronco Wine of Ceres, California, for $40 million. Napa Ridge was subject to the loophole.The bill was opposed not only by Bronco, but also by Central Valleyfarmers who have signed contracts to provide grapes to Bronco.Bronco issued a statement on Thursday saying the new law "willhave an enormous and lasting negative impact on the California wineindustry".The company said it would challenge the new law in court.The bill, the statement said, "is economic protectionist,special-interest legislation that sanctions an unfair competitiveadvantage for just one of the 45 counties that produce wine andgrapes, Napa County."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets