UK: Britvic to cut jobs in Northern Ireland
52 Britvic jobs to go in Northern Ireland
UK soft drinks maker Britvic is to make more than 50 job cuts in Northern Ireland.
Britvic confirmed today (22 March) that around 52 workers will lose their jobs.
Its move follows a decision by C&C Group not to renew its distribution and logistics contract with the UK-based soft drinks firm.
C&C recently bought the Irish unit of brewer Anheuser-Busch InBev and will now be using this to distribute its products in Northern Ireland.
A spokesperson for Britvic told just-drinks: “There is a consultation over 52 jobs in Northern Ireland as a result of C&C moving their logistics contracts. The consultation will be a month long."
She added: “There is a possibility that some of those jobs might transfer across to C&C but that is all going to be part of the consultation essentially.”
Britvic employs 139 people in east Belfast and 17 in Omagh.
Northern Ireland's employment minister, Reg Empey, said his department will “actively” help the workers find alternative employment.
“My department, whilst it cannot create jobs, will continue to work with those affected to examine all options open to them and help them make plans for the future," he said.
As the fiscal and social maelstrom of the Great Recession started showing signs of abating, projections in October 2009 for the alcoholic drinks industry were relatively positive as most leading econo...
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- This week in wine & spirits on just-drinks
- Spirits volumes slide in Global Travel Retail
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages