UK: Britvic shows the bottle to unlock drinks value
Britvic's bigger bottle
Britvic is to sell low- and no-sugar Tango, Pepsi and 7Up drinks in bigger bottles for the same price in the UK, in an effort to improve sales in the country's on-the-go soft drinks sector.
The drinks will begin switching from 500ml bottles to 600ml bottles from 12 April, Britvic announced last night (11 February).
There is a GBP40m (US$62.7m) gap between sales in the UK's on-the-go CSDs category and sales in supermarkets for home consumption, according to Britvic, the UK's leading soft drinks group.
The firm anticipates that switching to larger bottles, while maintaining the same price points, will narrow that gap by GBP12m, without cannibalising supermarket sales. It also expects to take share off rival drinks firms, such as The Coca-Cola Co.
Britvic will launch a GBP5m marketing campaign to support the launch in June, including national television adverts and outdoor adverts near convenience stores. New label designs will also accompany the new bottles.
The group has labelled the move as "the biggest thing to happen in carbonates for 15 years" in the UK.
Only low sugar and sugar-free carbonates will be included in the 600ml bottle switch, reflecting consumer health and wellbeing trends in the UK. Reduced sugar drinks have driven growth in a carbonates category that accounts for GBP2.2bn of the UK's GBP6bn soft drinks market.
A wealth of data on the private-label drinks market....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Molson Coors hit by US$500m write-down in Canada
- ForEx bites, but Heineken hails strong 2016
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends