UK: Britvic sales rise, profits flat in H1
Restructuring charges in Ireland have seen Britvic report flat net profits for its fiscal first-half, but the group reported an improving soft drinks market in the UK.
Net profits for the 28 weeks to 13 April were flat at GBP4.9m (US$7.6m) against the same period a year earlier, Britvic said today (20 May). Excluding charges relating to a restrucuturing programme in Ireland, profits rose by 14% to GBP14.8m.
Net sales rose by around 6% to reach GBP483.2m, compared to GBP454.7m last year, said the firm, which is the UK's largest soft drinks maker and owns the licence to PepsiCo brands in the UK and Ireland.
Britvic's share price rose by around 10% on the London Stock Exchange this morning, to GBP3.01, after the group said that it saw improvements on the UK soft drinks market, despite the economic recession in the country.
"The first half of our year has been a period of modest decline in the Great Britain (GB) soft drinks market and a substantial decline in Ireland. However, we have seen mildly improving growth trends evident in the second quarter in GB," said the firm, which also owns the Robinsons squash brand.
The GB market for still drinks fell by 6% in volume and 6.5% in value for the six-month period, although squash drinks rose in value by 3.7%, Britvic said. The group said that its own stills volume sales rose by 6% for period and that value sales increased by 4.3%.
In carbonates, volume sales across the GB market were up 0.2% for the half-year, with this rising to 2.2% in the most recent four weeks. Britvic's own carbonates sales rose by 7.5% and 10% by volume and value respectively.
The situation remains tougher in Ireland, with grocery soft drinks sales down by 4% and on-trade sales down by 20% for the six-month period. Britvic's total volumes in Ireland fell by 4.8% for the six months.
However, restructuring initiatives in Ireland, including 145 job cuts, will see Britvic save EUR27m annually by 2011, it said.
Going forward, Britvic said that it remains confident of meeting its full-year earnings targets.
There's no doubt what's currently exercising the minds of beverage executives in the US - the threat of a Federal CSD tax. Now that President Obama has said the idea is worth investigating the ante ha...
The Coca-Cola Co reported flat earnings on Tuesday (20 October), with lower-than-expected quarterly revenue hurt by the stronger US dollar. Michelle Russell examines the fallout....
PepsiCo's board of directors has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.45 per share on the soft drink giant's common stock....
PepsiCo has temporarily withdrawn documents filed with US the Federal Trade Commission on its acquisition of all outstanding shares in Pepsi Bottling Group and PepsiAmericas....
Britvic has declined to comment on a report that it is looking to raise US$150m (GBP91.5m) via a private share placement in the US....
PepsiAmericas has posted a fall in third-quarter profits, but declared itself "satisfied" with the performance....
The European Commission has approved PepsiCo's proposed purchases of two of its major bottlers, PepsiAmericas and Pepsi Bottling Group....
Ocean Spray and PepsiCo have expanded their strategic alliance in the US to include more of the cranberry grower cooperative's portfolio....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- Will fat-blocking products save the day for CSDs?
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends