UK: Britvic over the hump after "miserable" Q3 - analyst
A recall of Britvic's Fruit Shoot brand hurt Q3 results
Poor weather and a recall of its Fruit Shoot brand meant a “broadly miserable quarter” for Britvic, analysts Investec said in a note today (19 July). However, the note praised moves to reduce capital spend, and Investec's full-year guidance remains unchanged.
“It appears the worst of the storm is over,” it said.
Canaccord Genuity's note was more in line with today's earlier gloom when Britvic reported a 5.1% group revenue drop in Q3 compared to a year earlier. Volumes dropped in every reported region, and bad weather and the recent recall saw falls for Britvic's core UK and Ireland markets.
Canaccord blamed a poor trading environment for slow UK sales across all channels and said half of a 13.3% drop in UK stills volumes was down to the recall.
“The performance of the French business remains a growing concern with volumes down 2.4% and whilst offset by price increases it is only a matter of time until negative operational gearing takes effect,” the analyst said.
“No change to forecasts but risks remain firmly on the downside,” it said.
Nomura said the effects of the recall and bad weather added up to a damp Q3, though Britvic performed broadly in line with expectations. Franchising moves in the US are cause for optimism and should mean a firmer full-year update in November, it said in a note.
It was a merger everyone knew was coming. So, when AG Barr and Britvic announced the imminent arrival of Barr Britvic Soft Drinks yesterday (15 November), all that was left for analysts and commentato...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2012....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits