UK: Britvic merger was not a 'necessity' - AG Barr CEO
Barr saw its H1 profits dented by the failed Britvic merger
Speaking to journalists following Barr’s H1 results today (23 September), Roger White said: “We put a year’s worth of work into it (the merger), so it was a little disappointing.” But he added: “It was an opportunity rather than a necessity.”
The deal fell apart in July after Britvic rejected a sweetened offer from the Scottish group.
Meanwhile, White revealed that Barr was not in the running to acquire Ribena and Lucozade, which are being offloaded by GlaxoSmithKline to Japanese group Suntory. “They (the brands) never made it to the market,” he said.
Asked whether Barr could now be an acquisition target for Suntory, as one analyst has suggested, White flagged that his company is publicly-listed, meaning speculation is always rife. But he noted: “There’s been a quite a lot of activity in the soft drinks market in the past 18 months, so whether that continues, we’ll just have to wait and see.”
White also dismissed calls for an extra tax on soft drinks in the UK. “We’ve already got a 20% tax on soft drinks - it’s called VAT,” he said. “It (a soft drinks tax) is not a concept that will get a lot of traction with consumers.”
Earlier the company revealed that it had seen a significant sales spike in July from the UK's hot weather, but the group's August and September performance has been “more average”.
Suntory Holdings aims to reinforce its core business, carry out internal synergies in the Suntory Group, and develop new businesses. In order to achieve this, the company targets further cultivation o...
Suntory Holdings Ltd aims to reinforce its position by strengthening its marketing and promotional campaigns that can offer new value and new ways for consumers to enjoy alcoholic drinks, and also by ...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
Twinings entered into a sales and distribution partnership with Suntory Narang in the second half of 2012 to accelerate growth of its premium brands in the country. Under the agreement, the Twinings I...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research