UK: Britvic closes Orchid Drinks deal worth £67m
In a deal estimated to be worth around £67m, the UK's second largest soft drinks manufacturer Britvic Soft Drinks has announced it will purchase Hartlepool-based soft drink manufacturer Orchid Drinks Ltd. Orchid Drinks has an annual turnover of £14m and was formed in 1992 following an MBO of the soft drinks business, Cameron Brewery in Hartlepool, by five former managers and produces Ame, Aqua Libra, Purdey's and Duchy Originals.Commenting on the acquisition, Britvic's MD Stephen Davies, said: "The Orchid range complements the existing Britvic portfolio and has enjoyed tremendous success. However, distribution has been primarily through multiple retailers."He continued: "Britvic enjoys a strong presence in all sectors of the soft drinks market and we have the expertise and resource to develop the brands further across the total soft drinks market."Orchid's chairman, Rob Shotton, said: "It became clear that we needed the backing of a larger company to realise the full potential of our brands and Britvic is the right choice."Controlled by Bass PLC, Britvic had a company turnover last year of over £500m and as well as Britvic fruit juices and mixers, the company produces some of the UK's best selling brands, including Tango, Pepsi and Robinson's.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report