UK: Britvic closes Orchid Drinks deal worth £67m
In a deal estimated to be worth around £67m, the UK's second largest soft drinks manufacturer Britvic Soft Drinks has announced it will purchase Hartlepool-based soft drink manufacturer Orchid Drinks Ltd. Orchid Drinks has an annual turnover of £14m and was formed in 1992 following an MBO of the soft drinks business, Cameron Brewery in Hartlepool, by five former managers and produces Ame, Aqua Libra, Purdey's and Duchy Originals.Commenting on the acquisition, Britvic's MD Stephen Davies, said: "The Orchid range complements the existing Britvic portfolio and has enjoyed tremendous success. However, distribution has been primarily through multiple retailers."He continued: "Britvic enjoys a strong presence in all sectors of the soft drinks market and we have the expertise and resource to develop the brands further across the total soft drinks market."Orchid's chairman, Rob Shotton, said: "It became clear that we needed the backing of a larger company to realise the full potential of our brands and Britvic is the right choice."Controlled by Bass PLC, Britvic had a company turnover last year of over £500m and as well as Britvic fruit juices and mixers, the company produces some of the UK's best selling brands, including Tango, Pepsi and Robinson's.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- This week in spirits & wine
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts