UK: Britvic, AG Barr merger gets "provisional" clearance
The merger now has permission to go ahead
In its initial findings, published today (11 June), the body said it did not believe the deal will force up wholesale prices and the two companies' brands were not close competitors. A final ruling on the merger, first announced in September, is due by the end of next month.
"We have provisionally concluded that customers will not lose out from the merged Barr/Britvic," said Alasdair Smith, the commission's deputy chairman & chairman of the Barr/Britvic Inquiry Group.
Its investigation found that "consumers tend to see Barr and Britvic brands as distinct products rather than as close substitutes for each other", Smith added.
Britvic and AG Barr both welcomed the announcement.
In a statement, the Irn Bru producer said the findings were a "significant positive step" and it will continue to work "closely" with the Competition Commission with a view to reconsidering a merger.
Gerald Corbett, chairman of Britvic, whose brands include Robinsons, Tango, and the UK licences for Pepsi and 7UP, said: “We welcome the Competition Commission’s provisional findings and await their final conclusions by the end of July."
The deal, which will create the company Barr Britvic Soft Drinks, was referred to the commission by the Office of Fair Trading in February.
To see just-drinks' full coverage of AG Barr and Britvic's proposed merger, click here.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The company is focused on following three main strategies in 2013 in order to maintain its presence as one of the leading soft drinks manufacturers in the UK. These are innovation, increased distribut...
Barr (AG) Plc is focused on joining forces with Britvic Soft Drinks Ltd to become a joint partner company in what is expected to be the largest European soft drinks company. The formulation of the mer...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets