UK: Britvic, AG Barr merger gets "provisional" clearance
The merger now has permission to go ahead
In its initial findings, published today (11 June), the body said it did not believe the deal will force up wholesale prices and the two companies' brands were not close competitors. A final ruling on the merger, first announced in September, is due by the end of next month.
"We have provisionally concluded that customers will not lose out from the merged Barr/Britvic," said Alasdair Smith, the commission's deputy chairman & chairman of the Barr/Britvic Inquiry Group.
Its investigation found that "consumers tend to see Barr and Britvic brands as distinct products rather than as close substitutes for each other", Smith added.
Britvic and AG Barr both welcomed the announcement.
In a statement, the Irn Bru producer said the findings were a "significant positive step" and it will continue to work "closely" with the Competition Commission with a view to reconsidering a merger.
Gerald Corbett, chairman of Britvic, whose brands include Robinsons, Tango, and the UK licences for Pepsi and 7UP, said: “We welcome the Competition Commission’s provisional findings and await their final conclusions by the end of July."
The deal, which will create the company Barr Britvic Soft Drinks, was referred to the commission by the Office of Fair Trading in February.
To see just-drinks' full coverage of AG Barr and Britvic's proposed merger, click here.
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends