UK: British Soft Drinks Association calls for consumer value
The BSDA said the industry is meeting its challenges
The president of the British Soft Drinks Association (BSDA) has said that the soft drinks industry needs to drive value to consumers, while continuing to fight obesity.
David Saint told the BSDA's annual lunch yesterday (24 September) that UK consumers “are still feeling the squeeze” despite the recent upturn in the economy. “To stay relevant to them, we've got too find new ways of delivering value and keeping costs down.” Saint said.
However, he added: “The wider world has demands too.
“(The government) wants us to support jobs and growth but they also want our support in addressing the public health agenda,” he said. “This doesn’t trouble us because we have the same ambitions ourselves.”
Saint said that drinks companies are increasingly adding no- and low-calorie products to their portfolios, and also reducing environmental impacts.
“There are challenges but they are challenges we are meeting head on,” he said. “We're making progress and we should continue to be clear about that with all of our critics.”
Also at the BSDA event, Gerber Emig CEO Andrew Biles told just-drinks that the arrival of Suntory's soft drinks unit on the UK scene is “a good thing” for the industry. This month, Suntory Food & Beverage agreed to buy Lucozade and Ribena for GBP1.35bn (US$2.11bn).
Suntory Holdings aims to reinforce its core business, carry out internal synergies in the Suntory Group, and develop new businesses. In order to achieve this, the company targets further cultivation o...
Suntory Holdings Ltd aims to reinforce its position by strengthening its marketing and promotional campaigns that can offer new value and new ways for consumers to enjoy alcoholic drinks, and also by ...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
"The Future of the Wine Market in Ukraine to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company research. T...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Why Millennials are driving premium wine demand
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Piper-Heidsieck agrees three-year Oscars tie-up
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets