UK: British Soft Drinks Association calls for consumer value
The BSDA said the industry is meeting its challenges
The president of the British Soft Drinks Association (BSDA) has said that the soft drinks industry needs to drive value to consumers, while continuing to fight obesity.
David Saint told the BSDA's annual lunch yesterday (24 September) that UK consumers “are still feeling the squeeze” despite the recent upturn in the economy. “To stay relevant to them, we've got too find new ways of delivering value and keeping costs down.” Saint said.
However, he added: “The wider world has demands too.
“(The government) wants us to support jobs and growth but they also want our support in addressing the public health agenda,” he said. “This doesn’t trouble us because we have the same ambitions ourselves.”
Saint said that drinks companies are increasingly adding no- and low-calorie products to their portfolios, and also reducing environmental impacts.
“There are challenges but they are challenges we are meeting head on,” he said. “We're making progress and we should continue to be clear about that with all of our critics.”
Also at the BSDA event, Gerber Emig CEO Andrew Biles told just-drinks that the arrival of Suntory's soft drinks unit on the UK scene is “a good thing” for the industry. This month, Suntory Food & Beverage agreed to buy Lucozade and Ribena for GBP1.35bn (US$2.11bn).
Suntory Holdings aims to reinforce its core business, carry out internal synergies in the Suntory Group, and develop new businesses. In order to achieve this, the company targets further cultivation o...
Suntory Holdings Ltd aims to reinforce its position by strengthening its marketing and promotional campaigns that can offer new value and new ways for consumers to enjoy alcoholic drinks, and also by ...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
"The Future of the Wine Market in Ukraine to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company research. T...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research