CANADA: Brick Brewing Co admits CAD1.3m beer tax error
Brick Brewing Co is to send an extra CAD1.3m (US$1.2m) to Canada's tax authorities after an accounting error saw it fall foul of Ontario's beer tax laws.
The Canadian brewer said today (10 March) that it had erroneously omitted volumes related to a free can promotion on its Laker beer brand between January 2011 and this year. The company, based in Kitchener, Ontario, will pay back the missing tax this month, it said.
“When we concluded there was an issue, we immediately took steps to quantify it, notified the board and our external auditor, and we will be making a payment for the prior amounts this month." said George Croft, CEO at Brick.
The impact of the CAD1.3m will be split approximately CAD700,000 in fiscal 2014, CAD300,000 in fiscal 2013 and CAD300,000 in fiscal 2012, Brick said.
The brewer is due to release its full-year results on 17 April. Including the correction, EBITDA is expected to be about CAD4.2m, a 7% drop on last year's CAD4.5m.
The Cider Market Insight Canada report contains detailed brand, distribution and packaging data and analysis across the Canada cider market for 2013. Brand and packaging volume data is available whils...
Brick Brewing Co has seen a slight dip in third-quarter sales, but the Canadian craft brewer's bottom line remains healthy. ...
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends