UK: Comment - Scottish & Newcastle: brewing beer, not serving it
S&N is selling 456 pubs to the Royal Bank of Scotland for £260m (US378m). RBoS wants a secure revenue stream, S&N wants something a bit more exciting. Britain's biggest brewer has sold almost all of its remaining leasehold pubs, allowing it to pay off debts and turn its attention to overseas markets. The plan looks likely to pay off, but S&N could well do better to exit the pubs market altogether and focus exclusively on brewing.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- Allegro: The shape of things to come at Pernod?
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's Allegro cost-saving programme
- US craft vodka puts squeeze on Pernod's Absolut
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Pernod Ricard set for CMO switch
- Scotch whisky leaders sign pro-UK letter
- Molson Coors appoints Europe CEO