UK: Brewers to struggle, spirits look high for 2008 - analyst
The future bodes well for spirits companies, according to an analyst, although brewers will find 2008 tough going as commodity prices remain high.
In a note to clients today (14 January), Dresdner Kleinwort reviewed its coverage of several drinks companies, claiming that valuations for beer companies are full and already discount ongoing cost savings initiatives.
The analyst subsequently lowered its coverage of SABMiller to 'hold' from 'add' and InBev to 'hold' from 'buy'. With raw material costs remaining high, the risk to forecasts from brewers is on the downside, Dresdner Kleinwort noted.
Spirits companies are well-placed in 2008, the bank added, as they have limited exposure to raw material inflation, pricing power is more robust and demand remains resilient. Campari and C&C Group have seen their ratings upped to 'buy' from 'reduce', while Diageo was upgraded to 'buy' from 'hold'.
Anheuser-Busch this week responded to speculation about its future in a letter to its employees amidst the ongoing takeover dispute with InBev....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news on V&S and A-B and cost pressures at Cott, whilst whisky dominated the spirits headlines....
Beijing Yanjing Brewery is to issue between 85m and 110m new shares with a value of at least Y17.88 (US$2.61) a share, after receiving approval from the China Securities Regulatory Commission, local p...
A group of Anheuser-Busch shareholders have filed lawsuits against the brewer, claiming A-B's board has breached its fiduciary responsibility by rejecting InBev's recent takeover offer....
InBev has responded to Anheuser-Busch's rejection of its takeover bid by reiterating the perceived positives of its original offer....
SABMiller and Molson Coors have announced that their joint venture in the US and Puerto Rico is now open for business....
InBev has responded to Anheuser-Busch's rejection of its takeover proposal by saying it is "considering A-B's reaction" to the bid....
Anheuser-Busch has rejected InBev's takeover offer, with the Belgian brewer also setting the scene for a possible hostile takeover move....
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends